Tuesday 20 October 2015

{The Round House}[26th March 1987]

[Redbook3:23-26][19870326:1543b]{The Round House}[26th March 1987]

.1543
[continued]

No sooner had we reached the North of Scotland – the most northerly mainland point, that is – than I felt a strong urge to return South. After two days at Dunnet Bay we decided not to cross to Orkney, but to rent ([d] was walking for the first time and could neither walk properly nor sleep safely in the Land Rover [caravanette]). We drove South to [I] and rented [TC] – which I now know to mean 'The round house' in Gaelic: a converted nissen hut. We then started looking for a house to buy in Scotland (after our flying visit to Sussex, where we went down with colds). We have travelled all over Scotland's Highlands (and to the Borders) looking at properties, and looking generally.

From the beginning I was conscious that I still needed to go South. Naturally I took this for a sublimated homesickness. At a certain stage I thought of Wales, and sent for details: Wales attracted me; I wanted to go there. Then my Godfather [LN] died, in South Wales (Usk)*, and we drove to his funeral and looked at properties in South West Wales, where you get more for your money than in Scotland. We only liked one of them; as part of it had been left out of the sale, we decided against it. I had a dream in which 'spirit' voice(s)** sang over a Highland loch, but the voices cracked. My fault for being faithless: we returned to Scotland, and tried again.


*[On Newport Station, I think, waiting for the train home to Usk.]

**(or Gaelic female) <19870331>

[continues]

[PostedBlogger20102015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.