Monday 12 October 2015

{A Dream: [(7)] The Church Militant}[7th September 1986]

[Redbook3:16-18][19860907:0612k]{A Dream: [(7)] The Church Militant}[7th September 1986]

19860907.0612
[continued]

(7) This morning, I dreamt that [W] and I were standing at the corner of (I think) Royal Hospital Road and Chelsea Bridge Road*, when I was suddenly aware of the beginning of my next novel, which was to draw attention to the expanse of the Sky above Cambridge.** (In waking life I derive this from a comparison I made of the size of the Sky on the hilltop here with that in Cambridgeshire: but it fits well with the developments expected later in the book.) In the dream I could not at first find the exact word I wanted to describe the expanse of Sky; but I suppose that ?I must have found it, because I wrote about half a page on the pad I carried.

At that point a car came round the corner from Chelsea Bridge towards Chelsea rather fast, and nearly hit our Fiat Panda [4x4] – which was parked near the corner where we stood. I was so incensed at this that I threw my yellow biro at the car and hit it. The car immediately pulled up – on our side of the road – and four black-garbed*** clergymen got out. They were perhaps slightly aggressive about my action and insisted on a proper exchange of names and addresses (as at an accident). [W] was about to give them my pad to write on but I hastily took it back, not wanting them to see what I had written. I turned over the page – in order to find a blank sheet – but uncovered only an earlier and rather childish drawing of railway lines**** which I tried to hide. One of the clergymen saw this, and said something rather sarcastic.

The street corner filled up with a small crowd who seemed to be involved with repairing the road (or the pavement) on the corner. I had an idea that my brother [B] was there. After the crowd had gone, the road (or pavement) had been repaired and the clergymen and their car had also gone.

At this point I woke up, feeling rather pleased about the book.


*{On the North Side of Royal Hospital Road, actually.} A warning against memory: I now 'remember' this as the Smith Street/[St. Leonard's Terrace] crossroads <900405>

**19870326: The actual opening [of [2]] [as originally written] was rather different, but the Sky certainly features in the book, and is crucial (in its expanse) to the Propagation Experiment.

***{hassocks, are they called?} [the black garb, not the clergymen – cassocks (what they kneel in) not hassocks (what they kneel on) nor for that matter cossacks (what they might have to kneel to...).]

****In lectures at Cambridge I used to do[odle] this! i.e. primitive Jungian Mandalas (pre-Circles). <890929>


[PostedBlogger12102015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.