Sunday 12 April 2020

{Personal Circles [continued (6)]}[12th September 1989]


[Redbook6:240][19890912:1140f]{Personal Circles [continued (6)]}[12th September 1989]

.1140
[continued]

How did such* terrible Worldliness (or ‘pragmatism’ as my mother once called it, approvingly, when I expressed surprise at her having lied {to me} and deceived me over money)** arise? Is it a case of two kindred spirits finding each other? Or if*** their and Mrs Thatcher’s generation has more of this than others, is it some common experience? – The War at an impressionable age? – The last gasp**** of the privileged rural and urban bourgeoisie brought up in the inter[-]war years (which I was brought up to look back to with nostalgia as for a lost and better world – only later to wonder at the massive manipulation and exploitation required to sustain it)?


*[See last previous entry]

**[This would not have been the matter referred to previously in these journals, about which the writer had not at this point had an opportunity to speak with his parents]

***(as I suspect)

****I hope



[PostedBlogger12042020]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.