Thursday 9 April 2020

{Personal Circles [continued (3)]}[12th September 1989]



[Redbook6:237][19890912:1140c]{Personal Circles [continued (3)]}[12th September 1989]

.1140
[continued]

I am fairly certain, however, that the continual reading and practice* – and, I hope, a realistic willingness, once left alone, to study form – would have meant that I became able to write fiction well while I was still willing to write fiction that publishers then still wanted to publish: ie like the early books, in which the religious aspect was much less obvious (even to me), and the ‘thriller’ or other ‘wordly’ (not other-worldly!) themes of much greater interest to me. – Because I did have a plan for my writing: to present exciting and enjoyable fiction within which real issues arose (initially, for young people).

In other words, since then the publishing industry and my writing have been drawing further apart; but there was a time, in the mid-seventies, when we could have been close enough together to make a deal. It was, after all, at that time that S E-T (published fiction author and publisher’s reader)** was saying *** that I had talent, that I needed to practice, and that she hoped (in the case of at least one of my books) that someone would publish it; so I do not think that these ‘might-have-beens’ are unrealistic, or indeed less than probable.


*[intended – see last previous entry]

**[cf [Redbook6:117-120)][19890401:1745]{Writers, Publishers, Readers}[1st April 1989];
[Redbook2:129-132][19780829:2025]{Publication}[29th August 1978]ff]]

***{NB again! [See last previous entry but one, fn ***]}


[continues]

[PostedBlogger09042020]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.