Saturday 9 April 2016

(THE AVOIDANCE OF SUPERSTITIOUS ERROR [continued])[11th April 1987]

[Redbook3:168][19870411:1909b](THE AVOIDANCE OF SUPERSTITIOUS ERROR [continued])[11th April 1987]

19870411.1909
[continued]

E.C Prophet* refers to the legend of Joseph of Arimathaea bringing the boy Jesus to Glastonbury (to study under the druids?), which underpins the Grail legend and the story of King Arthur. Much though I should love to believe this legend – which even [William] Blake, who was not silly, presented only as a question and an inspiration** – I have never seen a scrap of convincing evidence as to its historical actuality; and Truth demands that this fact be recognised.

If it was convincingly proved, how much better off would we be? What matters is the idea – of Christ in England/Britain, for example, which he can be now; and of the Holy Grail as symbols. The inner reality of these symbols becomes so intense – with ***good purpose – that it as well to remind oneself at times that they are “only” symbols of aspects of the Divine purpose: that God is One and (to God) indivisible****. That is what gives the symbols their great strength to help us – their independence of our flawed and changeable understanding of the World around us.

That they be God-given to me, in one way or another, I do not doubt; whether they be God-given to anyone else is entirely up to the Individual. God gives in many ways: we do not have to accept all of them. (Indeed, we do not have to accept any of them; but it is advisable that we should accept those intended for us.)

This is, perhaps, one way to avoid superstitious error: a sceptical and practical attitude to particular aspects, which should be allowed to prove themselves, but# must in fact do so – not in the past, but in the present and the future.


[Any change in text size within the main text, e.g. between second and third paras here, is a bug between Libre Office and Google, and has no significance here or anywhere else apart from in the footnotes.]

*[See last previous entry.]

**[And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On England's pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England's green & pleasant Land.

--William Blake, 'Jerusalem', 1804; from 'Milton'.]

***{?=}

****(cf.p171 [[Redbook3:169-172:171][19870411:2200#]{Archetypes and Qualities(1)}[11th April 1987]])

#{/and?}



[PostedBlogger09for10042016]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.