Thursday 19 April 2018

{Church (2) [continued]}[23rd May 1988]


[Redbook5:122][19880523:1212c]{Church (2) [continued]}[23rd May 1988]

19880523.1212
[continued]

Sometime Church is wonderful: sometimes it isn't. A lot depends on me; but also on the Priest, and on the Congregation. In this sense Church is less reliable than home: you even (and quite rightly) get crying children in Church.

The great strength and weakness of the Anglican Church is it catholicity (small 'c'). My fundamentalist friend* has been attending the Family Service once a month, with his family, this Spring. I don't know why it is that when I hear him and his wife refer to 'The Lord Jesus', I find it slightly yukky. A quick look at Young's Concordance confirms generally my impression that the word translatable as Lord or Master in the Gospels is rarely used by Jesus of himself, and then usually in challenge: **'You call me Lord and Master....' '… who say Lord, Lord....'*** (from memory). 'Lord' is more properly a form of address for God (the Father), I guess – and Young['s Concordance] seems to confirm.


*[See [Redbook5:51-61][19880314:1115]{Fundamental Points of View}[14th March 1988]ff]

**{?}
[12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. 17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
(John 13:12-17 (King James Version)]

***{M[at]t[hew] 7:21, 7:22.
[21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?]
}



[PostedBlogger19for20042018]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.