Friday 28 September 2012

{A military hoax continued}[18th May 1968]


[Redbook1:48][19680518:1730]{A military hoax continued}[18th May 1968][Age 16]

Saturday 18th May
5.30 p.m.

            (I continue)     I.A. then pulled me away and explained to me that it was K.S. pretending to be an officer, and I was reassured.  Luckily no one had noticed my "mistake".  D, [teacher-]officer, recognised him instantly, however, and the game was up; "Hello S!"  "And who are you?"  "It is S., isn't it?"  (Here he lifted up K.'s hat)  "Who are you?" "I'm the [Head]Master." (a pause) "Well, if I may say so, your uniform looks very disreputable" says K.  After that the [teachers] tricked him into exposing himself [sic]; Q offered to drive him back to the School of Infantry, and K. had to reveal his identity, whereupon Q replied "I know" and got out of the Land Rover they were in.

            At about the time I was wondering where I had seen this odd-looking "officer" before, news came that (a) all the tents had been left behind at Armoury and (b) the 3-tonner lorry, with all the supplies, was lost.  At that stage, with dusk falling, the whole thing began to seem rather like a nightmare!  In fact the 3-tonner was found and went back to get the tents, so everything was O.K..  I slept well, but at about 5.30[am] a cuckoo started practising; he haunted my dreams till Reveille at about 7.30 a.m.  (Or was it 6.30?  I'm not sure).  The morning attack on the abandoned village of Imber was quite fun to watch, but I had nothing to do.

            We got back at about 11 o'clock.  I had a marvellous hot bath, and then, after lunch and debriefing, took it easy for a bit -- I tried reading history, but I couldn't concentrate because I was so tired.

            On Friday I was still dog-tired, and I still am pretty tired now.  I'm trying to catch up on the work I missed doing over Field Day (Thursday) and Wednesday; I have been working up till now.

            The weather has turned very cold (for summer) today.
[PostedBlogger28092012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.