Sunday 16 September 2012

{Race Panel}[2nd May 1968]


[Redbook1:39][19680502:1815]{Race Panel}[2nd May 1968][Age 16]

Thursday 2nd May 1968
6.15pm.

            I thought that I had written Tuesday's entry yesterday, so I left yesterday blank; I'm sorry.

            This morning there was a sort of panel in the [...] Hall, instead of Chapel.  Mr. T, Mr. L, Mr. R, and Mr. P were on the panel, and they answered some previously submitted questions on race relations, foreign aid, etc..  Mr. R presided, and read out the questions in his cynically quiet way; Mr. P, from an organisation in London, answered questions from an expert professional’s point of view; Mr. L gave the "Red" point of view; and Mr. T gave the "reactionary" point of view.  Mr. T embarrassed me and others by dwelling on the fact that immigrants don't smell like us or go to the lavatory like us, and therefore should dwell apart (or adapt themselves to us).  There are several coloured immigrants in the school, most of whom were in the Hall then, and I was rather embarrassed.  Mr. L, so I am told, nearly exploded!  He is an earnest and, I think, unrealistic left-inclined physics [teacher], who holds forth on his views at lunch and twitches his mouth when he speaks.  He is [...] House Tutor.  I think he has a slightly nervous temperament, though he hides it quite well.  He is President also of the Railway Society.

            Only one study period this morning.  After lunch I went to get my hair cut -- [my] C.O asked me to do so, yesterday -- and I have been working on Bronstead’s "The Vikings" ever since.  Tonight I am going to go to the dress rehearsal of the [...] House Play, "Caligula” by Camus.

[PostedBlogger16092012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.