Monday 13 March 2023

{Clerical Intellect}[26th January 1991]

[Redbook8:187-189][19910126:1116b]{Clerical Intellect}[26th January 1991]


19910126.1116

[continued]


[A letter in a local newspaper from a local clergyman on the subject of Sunday trading and Sunday sport is inserted here in the ms.]


When I [had] read this letter from the […] – the man who has consistently failed to see me, as he is supposed to, or answer my letters, and who apparently now avoids [Canon][XQ] – |my eyes were opened to the kind of man I have to deal with. I tend to assume that people are of a higher quality and ability than they actually are. |[The letter-writer] – naturally – speaks better than he writes; it is possible that English is not his first language, although I guess that he would be insulted to be excused in this way. But the letter betrays muddled thinking (in its confused structure); lack of understanding of ordinary people, particularly of their motivations; and a surprising degree of defensive self-importance.



[continued]


[PostedBlogger13for14032023]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.