Sunday 10 March 2019

{A Dream: Of a House Haunted by Memories}[20th August 1988]


[Redbook5:326-327][19880820:1007b]{A Dream: Of a House Haunted by Memories}[20th August 1988]

19880820.1007
[continued]

An interesting dream last night involved a sort of haunted or computerised house (a mansion in size).* It used to ask people: who is in the room? – and I saw it actually chop up and swallow some poor woman, into the crack at the bottom of doorway joining two rooms.** I started to organise people to leave:*** things were getting worse.

From the front door I had to return inside. In the basement I found rooms containing my old clutter: for example, a loose note which looked like one of the very early scribbled verses in the front of Journal I;**** and a Scrabble box (my sets of Scrabble and Monopoly disappeared from [C] in later years)# containing only junk. I found it impossible to tear myself away, for fear that there might be something there of value. There wasn’t of course.

Eventually I gave way to the increasing sense of danger and made my way to the great front door. From it I could see all the people (I had) evacuated, sitting on a grassy bank safely away from the House [sic]. But I realised that the structure itself was beginning to collapse: the tower over the front door was tottering, and there was a great danger that, having stayed too long in the basement archives in a fruitless search for items of value from my own past,#* I might not be able to leave the House [sic] without being crushed.

At that point I awoke, feeling rather unwell. (During the night I had drunk a whole glass of water, despite having eaten only lightly during the day.)


*not unlike [my primary-level boarding school], but not identical.

**(There were more details, I think, at this stage.)

***from dormitories – but they were adults.

****[reference unclear; but there are handwritten verses inserted in volume I of this Journal, subsequent to the Journal entry dates.]

#[Only to mysteriously reappear at some later stage; the writer has them still.]

#*[Annotation dates and the next entry indicate that the writer spent significant time at around this time going through previous Journal entries. (Annotations to the earliest Journal entries have not been recorded in this typescript, as at the date of posting of this Journal entry.)]


[continues]

[PostedBlogger10for11032019]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.