Tuesday 12 March 2019

{A Dream: Of a House Haunted by Memories [continued (3)]}[20th August 1988]


[Redbook5:328-329][19880820:1007d]{A Dream: Of a House Haunted by Memories [continued (3)]}[20th August 1988]

19880820.1007
[continued]

I guess that [Journal] Book I is for me now the most worthless and the most dangerous,* and should be kept firmly closed,** except (perhaps) for rare specific references (the preliminary to ‘Fusion Child’ is at the end there,*** but maybe should be treated separately anyway). [Journal] Book II may be used for reference, or searched for specific items or types of item – I am not certain that searching is OK – but should not be read through.* Even [Journal] Book III is a little risky to read through,* especially in [sic] the early stages, as time goes on; but [Journal] Books IV and V should be fine for the time being, perhaps indefinitely, as they are becoming more detached from myself (I hope!) in their subject.

The moral summarised is, I think, that a living person may explore his personal past once for general conclusions, and return to it occasionally for specific references, but he MUST NOT dwell in [sic] it for any reason. This ties in with a feeling I have had that the ‘Outer Circle’ of fictions – if I write them – may be less autobiographical than I had thought, merely drawing on outer and inner experience as material for fiction – much as [1] does. [2] is probably marginally too close to self-absorption, even though I edited out some of the self-pity. Perhaps more should go? (eg at the beginning).


*[Not clear why (but see next entry). Doesn’t seem to have done any harm this time round….]

**This is not final: I have just re-read it again (for a meeting). <891011>

***{(ie of [Journal] Book I)}[in the ms]



[PostedBlogger12for13032019]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.