Sunday 13 May 2018

{Church (3)}[7th June 1988]


[Redbook5:141-142][19880607:1930b]{Church (3)}[7th June 1988]

19880607.19(30c)
[continued]

The Canon* has just (today) visited us and lent me a long-promised book of Jung: 'Memories, Dreams, Reflections'. I retaliated by lending him '[2]'.** Poor chap! – I saw his face fall momentarily: the pressures on his time are horrendous.

I may have worked out why it is that dreams etc. indicate that a man for whom I have so much admiration is in some way not necessarily helpful to this curious quest: the answer is simply (if I am right) Pastoral Care. The last two of the three times he has called, he has been in such a hurry that I have (a) had to rush the several things I did have time to ask him or talk to him about, which leaves me stressed and feeling (sometimes correctly)*** that I have bungled communication; and (b) not had time to deal with more important matters which require more intensive discussion.

The commitments which bring him late to us and require his swift departure are always pastoral: the people (like us) he has already been to see, the meetings he is going on to; and he has responsibilities at [the Cathedral] (some sixty miles from […] where he lives, and has to take a course and mark papers etc. at [...] College, […], edit the [...] newsletter, etc., etc..

I could never**** ask the symbolic question which I feel arising out of this sad situation: “Is there anyone I can speak to about God?”

There is also a danger for him,|of which I am sure he is aware, of a recurrence of heart problems. I begged him to treat '[2]' merely as a diversion: told him it was meant to be fun, and that there was no hurry.


*[XQ] [See [Redbook5:121-122][19880523:1212b]{Church (2)}[23rd May 1988]]

**Currently, it seems, gone to Australia. <891009>
[See [Redbook5:23A][19880301:0000][Extract from Letter to [XQ] (2)][1st March 1988]]

***{I think!}

****(I think!)

[PostedBlogger13052018]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.