Tuesday 27 January 2015

{Flying Saucers}[8th December 1980]

[Redbook2:181][19801208:2335]{Flying Saucers}[8th December 1980]

19801208.2335


The reason why I wrote 'flying machine'* was because I thought of the Silver [...]-type [flying machine] vehicle I have been writing about in ['0']**. Flying saucers are not lightly invoked – at least by me. Before I wrote it, I could not understand why I wanted that passage of the [flying machine]'s journey in ['0'] – I almost left it out in July. I rewrote the crucial passage – which only became crucial when I rewrote it – in October, 25th I think. The peak is reached when [the Narrator], by arrangement of the mind, learns to control the [flying machine], bringing her in a vertical power dive from a great height to a few yards above ground level. The sensation and sight of the dive is vividly described. The rest of the journey is tidying up, anti-climactic***.

I had been told that A's plane crashed into the side of a hill – suggesting a gliding crash landing. Today I learnt for the first time [sic] that it was seen (apparently) by two labourers to dive vertically out of the sky at great speed. No reason is known. The remains had to be buried in one coffin, so great was the impact.

Two possibilities suggest themselves.
(1) Is my writing misconceived, merely confusing the issue?
(2) What is cause (if any) and what is effect?

I do not like either of them much.



*on the note to p.176? [[Redbook2:176-177][198001126:0050a]{(A Dream of Teaching [continued]:) ...and the Vehicle.}[26th November 1980]]

**[Subsequently renamed]

***[Subsequently changed]


[PostedBlogger27012015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.