Thursday 29 January 2015

{A Dream-Event Connection: Abort Take-off}[20th April 1981]

[Redbook2:183-184][19810420:2230]{A Dream-Event Connection: Abort Take-off}[20th April 1981]

19810420.2230

I hope I am not becoming blasé about it all: this one happened a week or so ago. I was talking to M a few weeks ago about her trip to Zimbabwe when I said, half-teasing, that I had dreamt I was in a crashing aircraft. Then I added that it had not seemed to be a dream of particular significance, in the sense in which some have been when they forecast events.

All this was true: in the dream I had been in an aircraft filled with people, the nose was steeply down and the aircraft descending (or so it seemed) at great speed, and I think someone was talking about crashing, over the P.A.. I had thought that we were crashing. I had considered entering this in this book, but on reflection it did not seem to carry the intensity of previous predictive dreams, so I did not.

It was only a few days before I left that I realised that it could be me, since I was flying to Germany. So I was relieved to arrive in Germany without incident. Anxiety was greater as we taxied out for the return trip from Gütersloh. The aircraft turned straight on to the main runway and started its take-off run. Its nose lifted quickly as speed increased. Suddenly the engine noise faded and its nose came quickly down. I knew at once what my dream had referred to. As soon as the nose wheel had touched ground the aircraft engaged reverse thrust with an appalling roar, and after a perceptible interval we slowed down.

As we turned off the runway – there had been some anxiety in the aircraft – the Captain explained that when we were 1/3rd of the way along it the control tower had radioed that there was an obstruction on the runway and that he should abort, so he had. We took off “again” and reached Luton without apparent incident. I was relaxed for the whole flight after that abortive take off, because I knew that the event had occurred.


[PostedBlogger29012015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.