Sunday 31 October 2021

{Circle of Epilepsy}[25th August 1990]

[Redbook7:239-243][19900825:1212c]{Circle of Epilepsy}[25th August 1990]


.1212

[continued]


‘“My first impression was a very strong one,” the prince repeated. “On my way from Russia, passing through many German towns, I just looked about me in silence, and, I remember, I never asked questions. This was after a long series of violent and painful attacks of my illness, and I always relapsed into a state of complete stupor when my illness became worse and I had several attacks on the same day. I lost my memory, and, though I was fully conscious, the logical sequence of my thoughts seemed to be broken. I could not follow the course of events consecutively for more than two or three days. That’s how it seems to me. But when my attacks abated I became well and strong again, just as I am now. I remember I felt terribly sad. I even felt like crying. I was in a state of constant wonder and anxiety. The thing that affected me most was the thought that everything around me was foreign. I realised that. The fact that it was foreign depressed me terribly. I completely recovered from this depression, I remember, one evening at Basel, on reaching Switzerland, and the thing that roused me was the braying of a donkey in the market-place. I was quite extraordinarily struck with the donkey, and for some reason very pleased with it, and at once everything in my head seemed to clear up.”’


Fyodor Dostoyevsky, ‘The Idiot’ Part I Ch[apter] 5 [See next journal entry, fn=***]

(cf earlier Dostoyevsky extracts re epilepsy,

ref III [[Redbook3:181][19870413:1450](FITS)[13th April 1987],] 181)


[continued]


[PostedBlogger31102021]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.