Friday 29 January 2021

{Soliciting the Future}[7th March 1990]

[Redbook7:80-81][19900307:2322]{Soliciting the Future}[7th March 1990]


19900307.2322


When I saw the referees’ form for the Church, on Sunday,* I felt physically ill: disorientated and peculiar. This, and overwhelming tiredness, lasted through Monday: what kind of a Church is this? On Monday night I went to bed {saying}** inwardly: I’ll do whatever you want me to do... (or something similar). On Tuesday, the day of our exploratory drive to England, I woke up quite calm with the original idea that I should become a Solicitor*** (ie instead of a Barrister)**** and work for a firm of Solicitors. Within hours I had rung up the Law Society# and found that it might be possible; I have already started re-reading old legal books, for background.


Of all the towns we visited on Tuesday – Hereford, Ledbury, Malvern, Worcester, Evesham, (Eckington village,) and Tewkesbury were the others – only one really appealed to both of us, and that was the one I particularly wanted to see: Pershore.#*


I feel that I should, if I can, stick to my declared intention and pursue my application for ordination as far as it will take me, however uncomfortable it may become (however uncomfortable?).#** The concentration of the mind has been useful, in terms of study; there is also the faint possibility that what I have said, and/or have to say, might actually be useful to the Church....#***



*[4th March 1990; the date of this journal entry, the 7th, was a Wednesday]


**[ms originally had ‘asking’]


***[an Attorney, in other jurisdictions]


****[as the writer then was; an Advocate, in other jurisdictions]


#[The Solicitors’ professional body]


#*ref III. [[Redbook3:164-166][19870410:1000]({Dream of} PERSHORE)[10th April 1987]&f,] 164


#**(I think that it could become very uncomfortable indeed.)


#***{cf [[Redbook7:115-121][19900404:1531]{The Church and I}[4th April 1990],] 118}



[continues]


[PostedBlogger29012021]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.