Monday 30 November 2020

{Dream: In a Limbo [continued]}[2nd February 1990]

[Redbook7:31-32][19900202:1018b]{Dream: In a Limbo [continued]}[2nd February 1990]


19900202:1018

[continued]


The term ‘limbo’* puzzled me at first, because in my dream I could not remember what it meant; but when I awoke it seemed highly appropriate: a kind of no-(man’s-)land between definite states or dynamic patterns. The dictionary definition,** however, is even more comprehensively appropriate, if somewhat startling:


‘limʹbo, n (pl. ~s). Region on border of hell where pre-Christian just men and unbaptised infants are confined; prison, durance; condition of neglect or oblivion. [ME, f. med. L phr. In limbo (LIMB2)]’

***


*[See last previous entry]


**C[oncise/Complete] O[xford] D[ictionary]


***Curiously, it was the exact word which [sic] [W] used – not having heard of my dream – that same evening, during a rather heavy discussion, to describe our present state of uncertainty as regards my being ordained. The delay is tougher on wives and families. <900203>




[PostedBlogger30112020]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.