Wednesday 29 October 2014

{Short-term Memory and the Unconscious Mind}[17th January 1979]

[Redbook2:140A][19790117:0000]{Short-term Memory and the Unconscious Mind}[17th January 1979]

[…][H] 17/1/79

Turning a column of figures into various percentages (!) I found that the % given at the head of the column had, in one case, appeared as '20 %'* when it should have been '2%'. I noted this mentally but did not alter it on the paper.

Doing the calculations on the calculator automatically, I several times read this again as 20%** – only noticing later, on each occasion. This did not happen if I was thinking about what I was doing.

This ponderous experience, ponderously related, leads to the thought that the un-conscious part of my mind has no memory for (perhaps does not even register?) short-term conclusions.


*[In the manuscript entry the first '0' of the '%' is omitted.]

**[Final % corrected in typescript and blogpost from 2% to 20% as in manuscript <20151122>!]



[PostedBlogger29102014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.