Monday 15 October 2012

{Results}[19th January 1969]


[Redbook1:71][19690119:0000]{Results}[19th January 1969][Age 17]

Sunday 19th January 1969.

I should perhaps explain that I got my “A” levels – two “B””U”s to add to the one “C” I got in Latin Translation and Roman History a year and a half ago.  The “B”s at “A” level are what mattered; the “Unclassifieds” at “S” level are a pity. They presaged my next result.  The two “B””U”s were in History and English.

A term later, encouraged by my 'A' level success, [teacher]s' reserved confidence, and the knowledge that I possessed another year, I failed to get into Cambridge – U[...] I[...].  since one or two boys whom I would judge to be of superior ability – notably EH and GS – failed to get in also, but one or two boys whom I thought even less academic than myself -- notably QG, KS and DG (closed exhibition) -- got in, I am not too concerned over the results.  Nevertheless, it was a disappointment.

I am now studying Economics, ostensibly for "A" level, England 1600 – 1900, ostensibly for Oxbridge, and Business Studies and English Literature, for my own interest.

I am now a house captain at [school], since a week before the end of last term.  If I had got to Cambridge, I would not have stayed here.

[PostedBlogger15102012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.