Tuesday 9 October 2012

{Academic ambitions}[3rd July 1968]


[Redbook1:59][19680703:1030]{Academic ambitions}[3rd July 1968][Age 17]

Wednesday 3rd July 1968.
10.30 a.m.

            Well folks, it we are back on the air again!  Life seems sweet, somehow, after all that work; it is so marvellous to know that there is nothing urgent to do, after two and a half months of deadlines, etc..  My last exam was yesterday; my first two were a week ago the day before yesterday; I had 3 history A/S level papers and 1 S level; I had 3 English A/S level papers and 1S level; I had one General Paper 'O' level, which everyone takes with their 'A' levels.  I don't think I did very badly in any of them; 2 B1s are not outside the bounds of possibility, but then nor are 2DUs.  I would think 2 C2s most likely, or possibly a B2 in English and a C2 in history, though I naturally hope for 2 Bs, preferably 2 B1s {to add to the C from last year}.  But I'm determined not to worry at the moment.

            The prospect of 10 days of term free, then 8 weeks of holiday, is a pleasant one (!  -- understatement of the year!).  I now find that it is not possible to do nothing at all, because I am so used to working, so I am compiling, in a leisurely way, a chronology, with references, of transport in the "Industrial Revolution" -- actually from 1600 to 2000 a.d., with 1 page for each year.  At the moment it occupies one IXL file, but I expect it will expand as I fill up the pages and go into extra pages.  It is NOT in note form or tiny writing.  I hope also, eventually, to compile a gigantic Index of everything to do with transport in that period, from 1600 to 2000, giving references in the chronology and references in [sic] books I have read -- but that is a long way in the future, and may never materialise if I don't have time.  I am at present reading railway books and jotting down dated facts in the chronology.

[PostedBlogger09102012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.