Tuesday 2 October 2012

{Government Skulduggery}[22nd May 1968]


[Redbook1:50-51][19680522:2200]{Government Skulduggery}[22nd May 1968][Age 16]

Wednesday 22nd May 1968
10.00 p.m.

            There [are] a lot of disquieting factors appearing in government. For example, the Labour government has stopped allowances for hours attended for G[reater] L[ondon] C[ouncil] members; it has only left compensation for money not earned at work, for which professional men -- mostly Conservatives, I should think -- are not eligible, since they have no set scale of fees. Again, there is much guillotining etc of eg the Transport Bill, so the Opposition don't get a chance to amend, object, etc. I also get the impression that when an Opposition member objects, the Govt. spokesman replies without actually answering the question -- merely being sarcastic at the expense of the Opposition speech. Apparently the Opposition then doesn't get a chance to press for an answer again, through lack of time. I am not sure about this last point, but it does seem rather like that.

            It is my 17th birthday tomorrow. I shall be eligible to apply for a time to take a driving test to fill in a form to obtain a driving licence to let me drive a lethal machine at seventy miles an hour, using only my own faculties for guidance and my own limbs for control.
[PostedBlogger02102012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.