Sunday 26 May 2019

{A Writing Career? [continued]}[26th October 1988]


[Redbook6:156][19881026:1617b]{A Writing Career? [continued]}[26th October 1988]

19881026.1617
[continued]

A curious impression came across, of the TV panellists,* and later of many of the Booker congregation – an impression of deathly unhealthiness: pale, tired, dyspeptic, sick, not enough fresh air, noses buried in books, etc; and, more significantly, of a curious unreality, a lack of experience of things, events and people, a willing divorce from, and assumed superiority over, the networks and interstices of everyday life as it is lived by everyday people.

This is a surprising thing for me of all people to say about them of all people, if it is accepted not to arise out of jealously or frustration; but it is true that this is how they came across to me. Nor was there any jealously or frustration on my part that I was aware of, merely an awareness of the barriers these people by their nature, assumptions and behaviour constitute in my path; but although I am slightly embarrassed to record that I felt a little superior to them, I recall with no embarrassment that I felt detached and at ease. Television does not, on the whole, suit book persons.


*[See last previous entry]


[continues]

[PostedBlogger26for31052019]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.