Wednesday 19 July 2017

{Guilt-feelings}[25th December 1987]

[Redbook4:259-261][19871225:0004b]{Guilt-feelings}[25th December 1987]

19871225.0004
[continued]

In this context* as in others, Circles Analysis leads me to ways I should not otherwise have explored{:}** usually to my greater satisfaction, but sometimes resulting in unresolved internal conflict of aims and attitudes: as in my remaining desire to eat and drink too much at Christmas, and get things.

Similarly despite what I think Circles Analysis suggests about adultery as something to avoid, I am in theory greatly drawn to it – in particular cases – although I think that in practice a sense of niceness or delicacy does and will cause me to draw back, as much as (or more than) does Circles Analysis.

Whether Circles Analysis gives rise to these conclusions out of its own rigorous logic – as it appears to me – or simply as a vehicle for some inhibition or guilt of my own, I could not say. I think, though, that those who claim that religious attitudes to “sin” or immorality arise from guilt-feelings have got the whole thing back to front – no, not back to front, because those with practical experience of convent schools*** who may claim that guilt feelings arise from religious attitudes have also missed the point. We must ask the former where the guilt-feelings come from, and the latter where the religious attitudes are based. Circles Analysis suggests that both arise because to the Soul as well as to the Body such practices are, not simply immoral, but risky.


*[Ref last previous entry]

**[Originally a comma]

***[Presumably, as pupils, at least for the most part]



[continues]


[PostedBlogger19072017]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.