Sunday 9 December 2018

{In Two Minds [continued (3)]}[12th August 1988]


[Redbook5:270][19880812:1704c]{In Two Minds [continued (3)]}[12th August 1988]

.1704
[continued]

But – re spatial performance* – the Stumpf Test is a comparison of patterns from different angles: ‘The predictable group differences emerged on the Stumpf Test of spatial ability, with males scoring higher than females….’** (but this difference did not appear on experimental tasks).*** So males are expected to be better spatially,**** as I have been saying when teasing [W] about map-reading.

In [2], when [the Narrator] mentions his perception of a female-male split, +M teases him about the gender basis of his differentiation: but confirms that there is a differentiation of some sort.# +K, later on, expressly states that there is a female and a male side in every Man and Woman.#* Given that there is a difference in modes of thinking, it is not surprising that the different modes of thinking should produce different thoughts about the mode of thinking.


*[See last 2 previous entries]

**B[ritish] J[ournal of] P[sychology] 1988, 79, 105-119 (my emphasis)

***{(NB!)}
Suggesting a [typical] male superiority in mental analysis in 3 dimensions? <881102>

****But there is nothing about sequential tasks here <881102>

# [‘“.... Your state of mind no doubt reflects a greater state. Try and analyse it, if you can: pin it down to something."
I tried: "Well, maybe it's that until just before the exams, I was going around in a female world – [xS] and [xP], and [+K] – rather enveloping, very intense. But now, although [xS] is with me, she is preoccupied; and [xP] when she appears, is in such a rush that she hardly speaks to me."
"It's not personal." [+M] remarked.
"I thought it probably wasn't; but sometimes that's hard to remember, when you have lived close to them." I said. "When I come and see you here, it's like a different world – less personal and intuitive, more precise and calculated: a male world, I suppose."
[+M']s blue eyes sparkled: "Do you take me for a misogynist? Some of my best friends are women."
"Not at all." I protested.
"I shall have to get the lady Engineers to take turns sitting on my knee."
I could not help smiling at the image this suggested.
"But you are right in one respect." [+M] continued. "It is like a different world: to be more precise, like a different half of the World. The difference arises within the mind, but is nonetheless real.”’ (-[2]])]


#*(if I recall correctly)
[[+K]'s voice, gentle and amused, tickled the back of my neck again: "There is a male side as well as a female side in Man, in the species Man, in every man and every woman, each in his own way.”’ (-[2])]


[continues]

[PostedBlogger09122018]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.