Sunday 24 May 2015

{Dreams of Houses}[16th May 1983]

[Redbook2:275-276][19830516:1615]{Dreams of Houses}[16th May 1983]

19830516.1615

Many of my more striking or disturbing dreams involve buildings. I have been much involved with building operations and considerations over the last few years – intensively here in our [...] flat, but also to some extent at [C] (and considering the future). I had assumed that these dreams arose out of circumstances of the present, although I also felt that they related to the future, even if only as fears in some cases.

These dreams fell into three categories:

(1) Comparatively rarely, I dreamt that I was in a large house, usually a Country House, which I could not identify but did recognise. It had many passages, rooms etc. in which various things occurred in various dreams (some of which are described above). (A possibly linked phenomenon was my day time preoccupation for some months with images of [St. Q's] house, where I was at school for five years.)

(2) At particular times I dreamt that a house I was living in was falling down – producing a real sense of catastrophe. I put this down to actual fears before and during certain certain conversion works on the [flat].

(3) Frequently I have dreamt that we have in one direction or another discovered and opened up new rooms to the flat, and even occasionally new ways through these to the outside World. Usually we demolish walls to the next door flat (which we acquire); occasionally we find vast areas at the back built on an earlier scale; last week we discovered a new level between ours and the [...] floor above, approached by a narrow way, but with wide disused staircases from below visible further back.

It seems clear that these may be symbolic representations of the mental framework, or something of the sort, indicating (for example) the collapse of old conceptions and the discovery of new areas of activity.


[PostedBlogger24052015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.