Monday 5 December 2022

Sphinx versus Griffin [continued (3)]}[21st December 1990]

[Redbook8:137][19901221:2050c]{Sphinx versus Griffin [continued (3)]}[21st December 1990]


.2050

[continued]


*But last night, a quite different and unexpected angle occurred to me, and made me angry in much the same way that I was angry in my dream late this year of addressing the Church.** It was that this comment was set to test me, by my response, and that the central co-incidence, which so intrigued me, was not true at all: that the whole story was made up. This outraged me.


If it should seem, now, rather a large conclusion, I still think it is very likely (although not certain) to be true,*** not least because of a discussion I had at lunch on a Diocesan Quiet Day**** with a priest who revealed incidentally that he frequently made up stories involving himself, in sermons, # in order to illustrate a point to his congregation. When I interrupted his main point to query this, he confirmed it, initially I think in surprise at my surprise, but finally with embarrassment.


(Lest anyone should ask, the difference is[:]

(a) that Jesus did not tell fictional#* stories about himself;

(b) that the parables were familiar, ‘stock’ or typical situations; and

(c) that it’s unlikely that they were intended to be believed, or were believed, as historically true).



*[See two last previous entries]


**VII [[Redbook7:327-329][19900924:0605]{Dream: ‘I am a member of the Church, and I demand to be heard.’}[24th September 1990]&f,] 327


***{(ie the conclusion)}


****in 1988


#(Is this recorded in Vol VI?)


#*[ie knowingly untruthful]



[continued]

[PostedBlogger05122022]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.