Sunday 7 February 2016

{Mysticism, Witchcraft and the Occult}[4th April 1987]

[Redbook3:114-115][19870404:1821j]{Mysticism, Witchcraft and the Occult}[4th April 1987]

.1821
[continued]

But* I have intuitively avoided witchcraft, and similar occult practices. I was initially faintly attracted to such ideas: my father had (and still has, I believe) a shelf of books on (and of) witchcraft. But I have never got beyond the first page or so. Perhaps the kind of person he was and is warned me off them. I think I only have a couple of modern books on witchcraft now, and one of it – which so disgusted me that I never read it again.**

I used to enjoy a good ghost story, though. The best I ever read were in Jessie Adelaide Middleton's Grey Ghost Book, convincing because extremely matter[-]of[-]fact. I suspend judgement on all such histories.***

Although I use Astrology and the Tarot cards as symbolic aids in what I hope is a critical manner, I am wary of them as fortune-tellers****; I do not think I have ever been to a fortune-teller.#

But I have had a great interest in matters properly described as 'mystic' rather than 'occult': therefore I have investigated a little way [sic] a number of religious systems and their 'mystical' aspects.


*[See last previous entry.]

**ref II.{247}[[Redbook2:247][19821009:2330]{A Crystal Ball}[9th October 1982]] The Pendulum, Crystal Ball and Magic Mirror – kept as a reminder. <890930>

*** I have never used a ouija board, attended a séance, etc..

****[But see [Redbook2:185-186][19810628:2240]{A Tarot Reading}[28th June 1981].]

#(Perhaps a graphologist once? – at a party.)


[continues]


[PostedBlogger07022016]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.