Tuesday 29 December 2015

{Sainthood}[31st March 1987]

[Redbook3:81][19870331:1825e]{Sainthood}[31st March 1987]

19870331.1825
[continued]

I was a bit concerned, that I thought I remembered xS in [2] saying (in her final session) that at this point one became a Saint. On re-reading, I see that she says (or implies) that that the self having found Death through simplification, and Temperance through Love, may possibly become one of the Saints on Earth. I am relieved at this: Saint may mean different things to different Men (the Sikh Sants apparently order men's deaths for political insubordination) but I think I know what I mean, and I am no Saint.

What did strike me with some force, though, was that xS's words imply that the Self, despite having found Death and Temperance, still continues towards possible Sainthood. I had thought that complete annihilation of the Self was the complete transformation whether before or after physical death; but these words suggest (as one would expect) that, so far as Earthly existence is concerned*, the Self continues, presumably in modified form or emphasis. This makes sense, as xS later defines: '… all that is of the Physical Universe – the Self, tending towards Separation....' (This is after the death of the physical body, which is therefore excluded). It would be hard to conceive of Earthly existence continuing, i.e. within the Separation, without anything 'tending' towards it at all. Nevertheless, experience suggests that this aspect is, as it were, de-emphasised, to a degree, giving rise to an altered perspective, the possibility of detachment, and, in place of driving emotions, the substitution of qualities.*


{– Contra-rotation, again....}

*[“What we have lost
Cannot be accounted;
What we have gained,
We have lost.”]

[PostedBlogger29122015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.