Saturday 18 January 2014

{Little ghost story}[7th March 1973]

[Redbook1:291-294][19730307:2359a]{Little ghost story}[7th March 1973]



Tuesday 197303072359
[continued]

            A rather feeble programme this evening reminded me of a night I spent in [my school] House after leaving.  It must have been the second time I visited it – it was the time I took KS (?) back to London, I think, because he was in the spare room and I had to sleep in BQ’s room – while he was away at home (-- possibly a source of later confusion).  That room, which B slept in and another boy (since my time) had a study in, is in the basement, next to the old staff room, facing south onto an earth bank.  It was very hot and I had to keep opening the window.  There was no draught.

            Soon after I had gone to bed I became aware of many noises outside – in the cold stone-floored passage leading to the kitchens, the basement door and the central service lift and back stair well.  I seemed to hear continually, but not regularly, the flip-flap of bare feet (I think) on a stone floor along the passage; and a door kept being shut: not slammed, as if by the wind, but firmly shut.  I think there were other noises, possibly creakings and an impression of whispering – I am not sure about that.  But the feet and the door I remember very clearly.  I was absolutely certain that the feet were in the passage outside – the only stone-floored one nearby – and that the door was the old poundroom(?) just across the passage (next to the new common room).

[continues]

[PostedBlogger18012014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.