Saturday 11 January 2014

{Film Review II [continued(4)]}[24th February 1973]

[Redbook1:283-290][19730224:1735c]{Film Review II [continued(4)]}[24th February 1973]

(Saturday) 197302241735
[continued]

            I don’t want to start off again about inter-connecting drives and motivations as applied to fringe sex and social relationships (although I may find I have before I finish this).  But I gave [LG] and [WK] port at half past one on Wednesday morning after dinner with [IB]. His step-daughter had been there too, serving out and eating with us.  Afterwards L suddenly said something like ‘My God, but that girl’s sexy!’ (but it wasn’t quite that).  I teased him, saying she was only thirteen, but he kept it up.  Apparently the thing which really attracted him was the smoothness of her skin, although he did mention other features.

            Suddenly WK said he agreed – quite seriously.

           
            Of course, they’re right (I had to keep looking the other way too).  As I may have mentioned before, I think they’ve got sex a little confused with other, related feelings, e.g. paternal love and protection, and need for physical reassurance.  But they are right.  For the sake of … -- what? – security, convenience, religion, incest taboos? – we have drawn clear divisions where none existed.  The cinema now attempts to exploit the suppressed overlap in human drives, without examining the divisions themselves and the reasons for them.  I am sure this is dangerous.  Best of all we should learn to live without the artificial demarcations and understand ourselves and each other.  But if we cannot do that we should return to the old rigidity, rather than accelerating as we are down this absolute dead end.

[continues]

[PostedBlogger11012014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.