Tuesday 21 January 2014

{Little ghost story [continued]}[7th March 1973]

[Redbook1:291-294][19730307:2359d]{Little ghost story [continued]}[7th March 1973]

Tuesday 197303072359
[continued]

            I believe the possibility of a ‘supernatural’ explanation crossed my mind while I was searching for the disturbance.  I quelled it, not wanting an even more uncomfortable night.  And yet the next morning I don’t think that the thought even occurred to me.  I mentioned hordes of passers-by to [the Housemaster], half in fun – he took it three-quarters seriously, and I felt an idiot.  I was inclined to put the door down to wind; but I never found that door, and I never felt or heard any wind at all, (as far as I can remember).

            The possibility of an unusual explanation only occurred to me [again] this evening – when I remembered also [the Housemaster’s] story, told to me on that occasion, I think (or later???) – about [HO] seeing a figure on the Hall-Library steps, looking at him, late at night when he was with others in  the Pantry.  H walked towards it, and it vanished.

            Later, looking through house photographs, he identified it.  It was an ex-housemaster […].  Sitting in the same photograph was HO’s grandfather, who at that age had apparently looked exactly like H.

            But that night in the basement remains extra-ordinarily vivid.  I can even remember clearly (I think!) the combination of amusement and annoyance, with just  a hint of puzzlement and even fear, that was my reaction to that (whatever it was) which [GV] at [the school] might well have described as ‘nocturnal visitations’.

[PostedBlogger21012014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.