Tuesday 4 December 2012

{Immaturity}[31st December 1969]


[Redbook1:109][19691231:0000]{Immaturity}[31st December 1969]

Wednesday 31st December, 1969.

            To say that someone is "immature", as D often does, is dangerous because it implies a condemnation -- as though it was their fault, which it is not necessarily.

            So the Sixties end in snow, and whirling snowflakes usher in the new decade.

            KD has not got in to Oxford, which hardens me in my conviction that this whole Oxbridge business is one big fraud.  I should have said that K’s academic intelligence was higher than mine, although of course it is very difficult for me to tell.  Yet I am into [College] -- thank God -- and he is not ....

            The Sizzling Sixties?  The Swinging Sixties?  The Simple Sixties?  The Silly Sixties?

            I met at FS’s party on Monday a girl called ZT.  She is rather peculiar; she is six feet tall in stocking feet, wears (I think) little make-up (but I'm not sure), got 8% in Use of English, has two more terms at school, but drives a car, is not inhibited or shy though easily teased, and seems rather affectionate -- already!  I have her address; she lives in [...], which makes things difficult, though I should like to see more of her.  Oh yes -- and she wants to beagle, though she has only done it once.

            It is snowing, and E [L’s nanny] is ill.  We may go up to London tomorrow.

[PostedBlogger04122012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.