Saturday 1 December 2012

{The Leaver}[11th December 1969]


[Redbook1:108][19691211:1145a]{The Leaver}[11th December 1969]

Thursday 11th December, 11.45 a.m. [continued]

            I stayed on for twenty-four hours after everyone else had left.  It was only then that it hit me that I had lost something: a family of which I felt myself to be, in one sense, a father of a sort.  I discovered how fond I had grown of the boys and girls in the house -- not in an idealised form, but as they are, with all their faults and all their qualities.  I think they liked me, too -- several asked me if I would come back to see them the next term.  If I do, it will only be after a most careful examination of my motives.

[PostedBlogger01122012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.