Wednesday 28 November 2018

{Dryness and Dis-ease}[8th August 1988]


[Redbook5:263-264][19880808:1005]{Dryness and Dis-ease}[8th August 1988]

19880808.1005

Having made two starts at the booklet(s) – the latest of which I could certainly continue – I am struck by (a) the contrast between the way in which I write – not just the style, but the ease – in fiction and in this journal, on the one hand; and, on the other hand, the un-ease of writing the booklet(s). It is the contrast between fluidity and dryness:* between r~-g~ and u~-m~, perhaps. It may be that it is unwise of me to try to beat the dries at their own game, as they have been practising their style skills for years; and as I am not writing for experts in received wisdom (although sometimes I seem to think I am) the style may well be inappropriate. I seem to vary between the patronising (for the unlearned) and something that aspires to academic dryness* but doesn’t quite make it (thank God). Apart from the absurdity of this, it is more important that it marks an unease (or dis-ease) in my thinking and comes between me and the pen.

It may be that, having made my mammoth categorised lists of relevant journal entries – I should leave it all a few days (I have other work to do), “forget” the lists, and start yet again!


*[Aridity might be a better word here than dryness, which has connotations of dry humour. <20180924>]

[See [Redbook5:266][19880808:2229]{The Beat of Angelic Wings}[8th August 1988]]


[PostedBlogger28112018]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.