Wednesday 8 April 2015

{A Bomb}[9th October 1982]

[Redbook2:248-249][19821009:2330b]{A Bomb}[9th October 1982]

19821009.2330
[sic]

For the record, I did not have any specific forewarning of the Knightsbridge Bomb*, on Tuesday 20 July [1982] (according to my Diary). The bomb blew my window out and in as I was sitting three feet behind it; I found glass on my neck and desk, and (later) in my pocket and desk drawers.

My first impression on looking round was of Sunday: no movement, no people even; just flames and smoke. Possibly my eye was drawn away from them. I was immediately busy, and did not look out again for some time. I did notice that I needed two teaspoons of sugar in my tea, not one as usual. Only much later did I learn that the Household Cavalry had been passing.

But that evening, for the first half hour in bed, a bomb went off in my mind whenever I began to drift off.


*[Provisional IRA bomb, Hyde Park, London, which together with the Regent's Park bomb on the same day killed 11 military personnel engaged in ceremonial duties. Seven military horses also were killed.]


[continues]

[PostedBlogger08042015]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.