Sunday 1 September 2013

{Church Police}[17th August 1971]


[Redbook1:221-223][19710817:1915c]{Church Police}[17th August 1971]

17th August 1971
7.15pm [continued]

            I went to St Paul’s [Cathedral] this afternoon; after I had been there half an hour and was beginning to absorb something of its inspiration, a fussy young verger (?) no older than myself herded us all to the West end for the Service.  His manner was supercilious.  During the Service, which I watched from the West end, he walked in the aisle (?) and spoke to another similar official.

            On my way back I went to Westminster Abbey.  The Royal Chapels were already closed.  I had just found Poets’ Corner when we were condescendingly informed by loudspeaker that since Evensong was to begin in twenty minutes we should either take our seats in the choir or, if we could not attend, ‘it is now time for you to leave’.  We were herded out, but I sat at the back through the service -- hoping to recover something that I have lost with religion.  This was made slightly more difficult by the vergers (?) -- men and women in gowns this time -- who had a habit of intercepting -- relatively loudly -- anyone who wandered during Divine Service.

            Afterwards I finished my exploration of Poets’ Corner and had just got well into Statesmens’ Corner when I was asked to move on again: the Abbey was closing.  I must admit I acted a bit in one sense, but everything I said, I felt deeply.  I was depressed by it all.

(Approximate reproduction [follows]:)

[PostedBlogger01092013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.