Saturday 31 August 2013

{A trip to Scotland [continued]}[17th August 1971]


[Redbook1:219-220][19710817:1915b]{A trip to Scotland [continued]}[17th August 1971]

17th August 1971
7.15pm [continued]

            I was slightly apprehensive about staying with the Ms but as it happened I need not have worried.  No letter was mentioned or alluded to; nevertheless from L’s behaviour I think it may have been received, and from the way things were organised it is possible that his parents saw it and put a potentially unpleasant interpretation on it, as he did not.  In one sense they were right: P is too attractive a child to be risked.  Everyone who comes into contact with him and loves children must love him as an ideal child.  He is bright; he is polite; he is fair (God knows where that came from, but the [children] all have it) and he is slight (malnutrition again?).  That politeness is infuriating -- it gives so few clues as to how he feels, and what he thinks.

            I think that P has in his turn become a ‘symbol’ of my exploding awareness of and love for people since 1969.  This has less to do with sex: I have been in love with girls often enough in my life, and always hopelessly -- I was too shy.  Nevertheless sex is part of the ‘social scene’, or is one of the social urges.  I do not feel any desire to have “sexual” relations with any boy or man -- apart from the unsatisfactory physical situation, the idea is ludicrous.  But I would very much like to have children of my own, and I would have liked -- knowing very well that such an idea is ridiculous -- to be in a position to treat P as my own son.  Within reason and very obvious limits, what a man or woman does for love of their own son or daughter should be their business; but then, why the distinction between their own children and someone else's?  As a people we are frightened of affection; I suspect that if I had known more love as a child I should not find the situation so confusing now.


            What we should fear is to go through the social and sexual rituals without the love which is the meaningful part.

[PostedBlogger31082013]