Sunday 29 September 2013

{Musick}[7th May 1972]


[Redbook1:237][19720507:1231a]{Musick}[7th May 1972]

Sunday 197205071231
[continued]

            It is extraordinary how disturbing or penetrating are solo wind and brass (?) instruments.  There is peace in [No.] [...] Street, and in my little room at the top of the house I am working – reading the North Sea Continental Shelf cases, in a state of controlled panic.  Then J starts playing his pre-18th century (?) trumpet, wavering through some esoteric piece of mediaeval music he has discovered somewhere.  I cannot concentrate.  I clatter downstairs with dirty plates, yodelling as I pass his door.  He sticks his head out and promises to stop after five minutes.  We confer on sacbuts, baths and bagpipes – baths because I intend to have one while I can’t work while he plays.  But he is as good as his word: after five minutes he stops playing; but by that time C has started playing his guitar, and shortly before he stops R begins to practice on his recorder.  D starts clattering the accumulated backlog of dirty dishes (he tells me) and O leaves the house.*

            And I start writing this.

            It is also extraordinary how much I write here under the pressure of exams.

*(Actually I think he’d already gone (?))

[PostedBlogger29092013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.