Wednesday 18 September 2013

[Cambridge][8th March 1972]


[Redbook1:231A][19720308][Cambridge][8th March 1972]

(19720308I – copied 19720321)
DII

                Cambridge

Cambridge:
Mother and Child;
'What do you have from your time?'
I have lived in the bitter wetback;
I have studied under learned men.

The East wind blew my thoughts
away:

God alone knows where I came from,
God alone knows where I'm going,
God alone knows
God alone....

I will show you something, if you come to Cambridge:
I will show you people very busy learning:
Fascinating people, working, sleeping, talking;
                                   ... eating, drinking, talking;
                                   ... smoking, loving, talking;
                                 ... worshipping, and talking.
Will I show you people?

I see people, lonely people;
Do you see the ones who wander
Lonely through the dark?

See, there is no dark; only in the mind
Gropes the tiny person.  What he cannot find
No one else will give him: wholly in the mind.

At six o'clock the lights went out.
Slowly I began to see
Other people seeing me:
People turn, and turn about;

When the lights came on again
I was blinded.

                        Time and again
I see what they see, and I hear what they hear,
And nothing I say.  What do I fear?
-- I don't know.  Time and again.
Time and again.

Now the Sun sets, fire across the River,
Blood on the walls.  Time and again!
Mists curl across the dim meadows.
I wander here in darkness, in a darkness:
Inner darkness.
Is there a soul calling?
Sweet voices from the Chapel, singing
Rumble of the deep organ, bringing
Meaning to the great bell ringing,
Swinging over the World.

Poor World!
        We're a pair, the World and I,
        Swinging helpless through the Sky:
What shall we give you?

What have you given us?

                                        Life.

Time and again....
                Time and again.



(At 6 o'clock the lights went out – per rota because of power workers’ strike) <880324>

[PostedBlogger18092013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.