Friday 20 September 2013

[City][8th March 1972]


[Redbook1:231A(x233A)][19720321a][City][8th March 1972]

(19720321I – copied 19720321)
DII
                City

In the cooler evening air,
I walk the dog in Chelsea Square.

London’s silence greater grows:
I walk upon the air.
                                Who knows
The thoughts that perish here?
I am me, alone, the seer,
Mere Child: a space, and filled with holes.
Here seethe ten thousand thousand souls
Who cannot hear my silent cry,
        ‘I comprehend the City!’

        Comprehending all I see,
        Being all I wish to be
        Knowing how I have the Key;
        But ‘City comprehends not thee’.

‘Know that now you may not flee
All you can and cannot see.’

Loneliness I feel around me,
Echoing within:
Like the Great Church bell they sound me,
Lonely, lonely, still they pound me;
‘Then with chains of love they bound me
Lonely still within’.

Lovely, still, within.

Love’s possession; love is greed;
Love is lust and love is need;
Love is jealous and unfair.

Pure love is rare.

In the quiet night-time air
The breeze so gently lifts my hair,
The sky so red, so strangely glows
I walk upon the air.

                                Who knows
The Child that perished here?

[PostedBlogger20for19092013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.