Monday 5 August 2013

[River.II.[xi]][28th July 1971ff]


[Redbook1:211C-T][19710728][River.II.[xi]][28th July 1971ff]

28.7.71.[and later][continued]

River.  II.
[continued]
[xi]

*

                                                In a cool and quiet pool
                                                Lives my own unmarried mother;
                                                Only he knows how I love her,
                                                Mistress of the River!

                                                Oh, Life-giver!

                                                So, in your eleventh year
                                                You were taken on my bank,
                                                First, and last, in shame and fear;
                                                But I took him, as he drank:

                                                Slowly, through my waters, sank.

                                                And I watched your stomach grow;
                                                Exiled in your boat,
                                                Every man became your foe,
                                                Your ship your castle, I your moat.

                                                Growing, on my mind you float.

                                                And for me you bore a son
                                                -- I love him as my own:
                                                Of all men the only one
                                                You love, loves us, alone.

                                                I have made him all my own!

                                                Now within the morning cool,
                                                In the shadows of my pool
                                                Every day you swim together;
                                                And I touch you, light as feather,
                                                Softly stroke the smooth clear skin,
                                                Whispering to the life within
                                                ‘Love – I love you – my life-giver!’
                                                And you – you recognise the River!

                                                The only one who understands,
Whom the breeze is slowly drying
-- Through life in thought is flying
-- Silent on the bank lying,
Earth and water in his hands.
                                                He turns, and sees the trees above his head,
                                                Wondering at his newly-wakened need:
                                                Twelve years he shared another’s warmth-filled bed;
                                                Last night in joy and love he gave his seed.
                                                So our life is freed!
                                                Do you hear me calling?
                                                He turns, and sees the water rise,
                                                Watching me with tear-filled eyes.
                                                I love you, child of the river!
                                                See the rain-mist slowly falling.
Now we love her both – life-giver!
Come with me, my own son,
Come down; for we are one.

*
[continues]

[PostedBlogger05for04082013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.