Monday 12 February 2024

{Mild Dyslexia? [continued (4)]}[23rd March 1991]

[Redbook9:5][19910323:1353d]{Mild Dyslexia? [continued (4)]}[23rd March 1991]


19910323.1353

[continued]






*

**



A large number of the symptoms given [marginal emphasis ‘I’]*** apply to me – in childhood, and/or even now. My younger brother and youngest sister **** are dyslexic (For an awful moment I thought I had spelt dyslexia wrong).


This would explain, perhaps, why I have never understood the common assumption that thought takes place in words.# For years thought and verbalisation were distinct sequential activities; now they generally occur almost simultaneously, but are still different.



*I do read slowly, and become tired quickly, but perhaps only in relation to my “intelligence”. I have difficulty in remembering the meaning of longer and more abstract technical words, eg in philosophy and language.


**-- G[uardian] 19910312:23


***[Marginal notes in order from top downwards:]

Talking was a real problem. I thought it was due to shyness.

I could never build kits.

I was ambidextrous and to some extent still am. [But see previous ts entry, fn=**]

My T.A. service was marked by difficulty in learning to reassemble a rifle or put a name to military vehicles which I did in fact recognise.

I was given a fairly rough time at school & at home for messy handwriting.

[I have more recently, on a hunch, confirmed the link or correlation between dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism – interestingly, a couple of fellow-members of my theatre company who are “on the spectrum” have offered the opinion that I am too. There again, for many years I’ve half-jokingly suggested that all men are borderline Aspergers, and that that’s fine, because somebody’s got to be....]<20240825>


****[Were. And a first cousin – in fact, 50% of the grandchildren of their mutual grandmother, who was from a family of 10 or so stage people spread over 2 or 3 generations]


#[& see, perhaps ironically, the next ts entry?]



[continued]


[PostedBlogger12022024]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.