Friday 12 September 2014

{Fantasy}[28th February1978]

[Redbook2:106-107][19780228:1310d]{Fantasy}[28th February1978]

19780228.1310
[continued]

When I first met one of my new managers and was asked about my interests, I mentioned writing, particularly science fiction, giving as an excuse the fact that it required less research and therefore less time. He commented, mentioning the word “fantasy”. Something in the way he said it, some (perhaps unconscious) pejorative note, led me today to speculate on the meaning of fantasy and the values attached to it – partly in argument with an imaginary Accountant.

I remember an advertisement for a legal(?) job in a commercial/industrial firm which said in effect that “dreamers” need not apply. The concept of fantasy has a poor reputation among businessmen at least – partly because it is understood to be the opposite of reality. But if reality is considered (for the sake of argument) to be physical reality, then the only difference (for this purpose!) between the professional fantasy of an Accountant and my own inner speculation is that he operates within a fantasy World governed by rules externally imposed, and accepted by a group operating within the same fantasy; whereas I operate by my own rules, or at least by rules which I have the theoretical power to reject or modify in the development of my thought (without either destroying the system or its purpose, or rendering myself liable to disciplinary procedures!).

*


[PostedBlogger12092014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.