Thursday 6 November 2014

{Two Pre-rational Connections}[30th March 1979]

[Redbook2:143-144][19790330:2315]{Two Pre-rational Connections}[30th March 1979]

19790330.2315

Obviously it is one of those days. This morning I had one of those clear dreams (although perhaps not as vivid as the one I described some months ago) – this time of a 'site conference' concerning the [Railway] Extension, where men I had worked with on the sub-committee were optimistic and, to my surprise, friendly. I got up to find the [Society] magazine and accounts waiting for me, and a surprisingly kind comment on my leaving the committee.

This evening I was lying in the bath when for no reason that I can recall I began to speculate on my [...][unit], and how I would convince S that telling I[G] its name could be dangerous, through a suggested chain of events: I[G] might tell her boyfriend [P], who (for example) might have a friend in Time Out [magazine]: next time they run an article on […] [security matters], there is a picture of [Chelsea] Square (“a member's home in fashionable Chelsea, [...]”) and me coming out! – closely followed by a bomb from the I.R.A.. At that precise moment S came in to tell me that Airey Neave [M.P.] had been killed by an I.R.A. car bomb.

It is, of course, the upright that gets it: the noble, the high-principled, and the just. Right-wing he may have been, but a man of integrity and, clearly, of compassion.

I ran past the Houses of Parliament at about 7.30pm, and noticed some activity – and huge traffic jams. I wondered what the fuss was about, as I ran on.


[PostedBlogger06112014]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.