Wednesday 24 July 2013

[River.I.][28th July 1971]


[Redbook1:211A-B][19710728][River.I.][28th July 1971]
28.7.71.
River.  I.

                                                Bubbling in spring,
                                                My strength from the hills,
                                                Collected in rills,
                                                Dithers through runnels,
                                                Running in tunnels
                                                Of grass; through the fields
                                                I grow.

                                                Through fields of grass
                                                More slowly I pass;
                                                In Summer's fair land
                                                I wear the green strand;
                                                I bear many boats,
                                                Or anything floats;
                                                And things that sink
                                                And long drink,
                                                More slowly pass,
                                                (My flood restrained)
                                                I gnaw.

                                                My banks chained
                                                By Man’s shore:
                                                Where country wanes,
                                                And town gains,
                                                Where Autumn rains,
                                                I pour.

                                                No more I sing;
                                                Man wields
                                                From noisome conduits
                                                All power.

                                                All power:
                                                Grey skies shine my sullen flow;
                                                Rain on the hard lands; Grey, I grow.
                                                Tall stacks dark clouds pour;
                                                I feel red furnace roar.
                                                Now I breathe, and breathe not; Gulls call;
                                                I drift the wreck of years:
                                                All life ends in bitter tears,
                                                And ashes fall.

                                                In the Sea-Wind,
                                                To Oceans wide
                                                My slow roll
                                                Goes....
[continues]

[PostedBlogger24072013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.