Tuesday 20 November 2012

{A trip to Oxford [continued(4)]}[16th November 1969]


[Redbook1:99][19691116:1645c]{A trip to Oxford [continued(4)]}[16th November 1969]

Sunday 16th November, 4.45pm [continued]

            The car journey to Oxford was full of little undercurrents of uncertainty, but nevertheless the conversation was quite enjoyable.  Conversation started off with a real old conversation starter -- The Winter’s Tale at Stratford, I think it was -- but became more interesting (for me, who hadn't seen that production) later -- significantly, I cannot remember what it was about at that stage.

            We saw the picture gallery -- I think -- of the Ashmolean.  I discovered to my delight that the only thing F really liked was Holman Hunt’s Anglo-Saxons [sic] (?)  (or Ancient Brits?) sheltering a Roman missionary from the Druids.  He preferred the Pre-Raphaelite room to anywhere else.  I had to exorcise a mental block against Victorian art that I discovered in myself; having done so, I felt inclined to agree with him.

[continues]

[PostedBlogger20112012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.