Tuesday 13 November 2012

{Suffering and Ambition}[13th November 1969]


[Redbook1:93][19691113:1630a]{Suffering and Ambition}[13th November 1969]

Thursday 13th November 1969. 4.30p.m. [continued]

            I am glad in some ways that I have felt miserable and inferior for so much of my life, because now I shall never be content with what I have even if by normal standards I have enough.  I shall always be trying to prove myself to myself and to others; men may call me ambitious, provided that it doesn't wear off.  I don't think it will.

            On the other hand, I may never know true peace of mind for more than a short time.  There will always be something better to do, which I have not done and someone else has.

            I have tried for so long to suppress in myself the spirit of competition, because I feared I could not compete; now, finding I can, I can do nothing else.

            Luther: “Here I stand; I can do no other; God help me; amen.”
(Martin Luther, 18th April 1521, Diet of Worms; traditional.)

[PostedBlogger13112012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.