Saturday 19 October 2013

[Ghosts][31st May 1972]

[Redbook1:245A][19720531:2154][Ghosts][31st May 1972]

197205312154

                        (Ghosts)

Slow again, memory turns,
            Long returning: glittering days,
            Days of Sun, never return,
            Passing, falling, dying: my years.

In the Sunshine, in fields of wind-rippled grass, and
In narrow lanes winding, I hear
The laughter of Children, the sorrow of living,
The fear of a nameless fear:

            Friends I lost in treacherous seas
            -- Northern Seas are bitter and wide --
            Cold in fear, fear of the Sea,
            Turning, sinking, drifting they died.

Crying, over the fields of Sunset, I wander, and
Seeking the Valley of Bones
I stumble through mists and through darkness, in terror
Of finding the Watchful Stones:

            Dead and cold, Barrow and Stones
            Brood in darkness, watching the Mound
            Where, alone, empty I climb
            Searching, seeking – not to be found.

While over the Downland, through mists slowly curling,
The lonelier Shades that I flee, --
Their restless dead spirits encircle the Chapel
Lost, drifting in from the Sea.

            Rushing Wind: Memory flees;
            Mists are vanished; Stars glimmer through.
            Alone with echoes, buildings and trees
            I cannot remember the Faces I knew.


(Tune: The Birdwoman/Feed the Birds
(from Mary Poppins))


[PostedBlogger19102013]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.